Slackery News Tidbits, February 6
By Jette Kernion on February 6, 2010 - 10:00am in
Here's the latest Austin film-related news:
- The newest additions to the 2010 Texas Film Hall of Fame Awards: actor Lukas Haas (Witness, Convicts), who used to live in Austin; and Waiting for Guffman, filmed in Austin and Lockhart. Catherine O'Hara will accept the award on behalf of the Christopher Guest film. Tickets are still available for the award ceremony at Austin Studios on March 11.
- Local filmmaker John Bryant's feature film The Overbrook Brothers, which played SXSW 2009, will be released on IFC On Demand on Feb. 17. (Bryant is second from left in the photo above, taken during an Overbrook Brothers Q&A.) That link includes a trailer, which I feel doesn't quite do the comedy justice. You'd do better to watch Bryant's 2006 short Momma's Boy, now available on Atom, which was remade as the first part of The Overbrook Brothers. The short co-stars Steve Zissis, who was also in the Duplass brothers' film Baghead, which leads us to ...
- The latest film from Jay and Mark Duplass now has a release date. Fox Searchlight has announced that Cyrus, starring John C. Reilly, Marisa Tomei and Jonah Hill, will start hitting theaters on July 9. It probably will get to Austin later, but on the other hand, it's also playing SXSW next month. Hey, apparently Steve Zissis has a role in that too. Cool.
- And while we're talking about the Duplass brothers, I just want to say how much I love this IndieWire photo of them with Austin filmmaker/AFS staffer Bryan Poyser. What a hot dog was doing on a red carpet, I am not sure I want to know, although I would support any movement to provide food to red-carpet reporters and photographers.
- Terrence Malick will start shooting another film this fall, which is slated to star Javier Bardem, Christian Bale and Rachel McAdams. No word on whether this one will be shot in Central Texas, like Tree of Life. Speaking of which, when do we actually get to see Tree of Life? Apparition says "later this year" and I'm getting impatient.