Ready, Set, Fund: Festival Time
"Ready, Set, Fund," is a column about crowdfunding and related fundraising endeavors for Austin and Texas independent film projects.
The 2012 film festival season has officially kicked off with Sundance going strong and reports flowing in from local filmmakers making the rounds in Park City, Utah. Meanwhile, preparations for SXSW Film Festival in March are also going strong. New to the festival circuit this year is ATX: A Television Festival, organized by film and television industry professionals Caitlin McFarland and Emily Gipson. The pair are raising funds through February 21 for this nonprofit event through a Kickstarter project featuring levels that act as badge pre-sales. Funds raised will go towards programming and other needs.
Another local festival seeking funds is the Jump Cut Film Festival, which showcases works by student filmmakers along with Q&A panels with industry professionals who will help judge this year's competition. Funds raised through the IndieGoGo flexible fundraising campaign will cover this year's submissions fees as well as improvements for the festival, which takes place April 21.
Find out about more Austin film-related projects after the jump.
Rewind This! by local IPF Productions has successfully met their goals in their Kickstarter project -- Rod Paddock has more information about this labor of VHS love. Other local film-related projects funding this month:
- The Deep Field -- A personal documentary about the experience of dying and the period of healing and self-discovery that comes after a loved one passes. Original score to be composed by the band This Will Destroy You, which also contributed their music to the film Moneyball. (Kickstarter, ends Tuesday, February 7)
- Devils Angels and Dating -- A short computer-generated film created by the filmmakers "purely for the love of animated filmmaking," taking into account internet trends. Devil, Death and Cupid set about their daily tasks of masterminding the love lives of humans while dealing with their own afterlife "love triangle with cosmic repercussions." (IndieGoGo, ends Friday, Feb. 3 at 11:59 pm). Additional project in the form of an e-book, The Art and Making of Devils Angels and Dating (Kickstarter, ends Friday, Jan. 27 at 8 pm).
- Drifter -- Grindhouse meets spaghetti western in this neo-noir short film about a mysterious man in a hat and trenchcoat who delivers some old-fashioned justice to a seedy hole in the wall. (Kickstarter, ends Monday, Feb. 1)
- Enemy of the Mind -- This cop-and-killer chase thriller features Lost and Prison Break star Christian Bowman and Machete star Dimitrius Pulido. (IndieGoGo, ends Tuesday, Jan. 31)
- Sounder -- Will Oldham (Pioneer) and cryogenics! A lo-fi sci-fi psychedelic journey of a man trying to understand his past in this short film. (Kickstarter, ends Thursday, Feb. 9)
- Suzy -- A dark comedy about a chance encounter between a student and Roger, a local wino and conspirator. (IndieGoGo, ends Tuesday, Feb. 14)
Have a project that you would like to be considered for an upcoming "Ready, Set, Fund," feature about crowdfunding and related fundraising endeavors for Austin and Texas independent film projects? Contact us if you've got a film fundraising project going on you'd like us to know about.