The Alamo Downtown Blog-a-Thon
Last updated at 8:00 am CST, July 2, with still more links about the Last Night at Alamo events (after the jump).
Jette Kernion of Slackerwood and Blake Ethridge of Cinema is Dope are hosting the Alamo Downtown Blog-a-Thon.
Alamo Drafthouse Downtown on Colorado St.
will be closing closed its doors after a final triple-feature on June 27. The movie theater will be moving to Sixth Street in the newly renovated Ritz Theater. While we're looking forward to the new digs, we want to remember and celebrate the old Alamo Drafthouse that we've been visiting for the past 10 years.
We're posting your favorite stories, memories, or links to photos from Alamo Downtown. If you have a blog, post an entry about Alamo Downtown to your website today. Send the link to jette [at] celluloideyes [dot] com, or post the link in the comments section of this blog entry. (Please make sure the entry isn't password-protected or friends-only, so everyone who visits can read it.) The list of links to participating websites is at the end of this entry, and will be updated periodically today.
If you don't have a blog or website, post your favorite Alamo memory or story in the comments section of this entry. Comments are moderated but I will be reading and approving them all day long. If you have a Flickr account and pictures of Alamo you want to share, you can tag them "alamoblogathon".
News 8 Austin's report on the last night at Alamo included Tim League's reaction to our blog-a-thon.
Note: If you have any photos or video from Alamo Drafthouse or Rolling Roadshow that you'd like to share, drop a line to lastnight [at] originalalamo [dot] com. Alamo is putting together a time capsule/documentary and is looking for more material to include.
Here are the Alamo stories we've received so far:
- Blake's Alamo Downtown Blog-a-Thon Entry and Alamo Downtown Part Deux from Blake Ethridge of Cinema is Dope
- The little church on Colorado from Jette of Slackerwood
- An Alamo story 40 years in the making from Nick Robinson
- My Last Night at the Downtown Alamo from Ben Combee at The Life Unwired
- Goodbye, Alamo Drafthouse Downtown from Headquarters 10
- Micah's Memories of the Alamo Drafthouse Downtown from Micah at Reel Distraction
- Niblog is Goblin Spelled Backwards from Michael A. Domangue of Musings from Austin, TX
- El Alamo from Monica of The Monica Show
- Alamo Drafthouse Downtown from Kramer Wetzel of Astrofish.net
- Fabulous Flickr set of Alamo Downtown, including photos of a bunch of recent movie events, from fuzuoko
- All Flickr photos tagged with "alamoblogathon" (currently at 16 pages)
- What a long, strange trip it was from Wetwired
- Alamo Downtown, where I grew up in Austin from The Reviewer
- The last sing-along at the original Alamo from poshdeluxe
- Brian's Alamo Downtown Memories from Brian at Reel Distraction
- A few favorite memories from Chale Nafus, Director of Programming, Austin Film Society
- Fassbinder, the Village & QT Fest from Rebecca Campbell, Executive Director of Austin Film Society
- True Love at the Alamo from Chip at It's Just This Chromium Switch Here
- Coffee and Cigarettes at the Alamo from Debbie Snax at A Geek of Small Consequence
- Remembering the Alamo from smallerdemon
- Top Five Memories of the Original Downtown Alamo Drafthouse from Karin Kathode at Hanging Fire
- Last Night at the Alamo from Owen Egerton
- The Alamo is (about to be) dead ... Long Live the Alamo Drafthouse from Jenn at Musings of an Info-Geek
- Alamo Memories from Ant Timpson
- Favorite Alamo Moments from Rodney at Aphanisis
- Amazing panoramic photos of a "virtual visit" to Alamo Downtown from David Hill [beware, you may end up playing with this for hours]
- The battle's done, and we kind of won from Michael A. at No, no, no, said Chicken-licken
- 11/25/06, or how the Alamo Drafthouse changed my life from Tsarina at The past is just the future with the lights on.
- A Decade of Delight: Alamo Downtown Closes at Austinist
- The Daily Texan interviews Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News, who shares his fondest Alamo Downtown memories.
Last Night at Alamo Entries
Here are all the links about Last Night at Alamo events that I copied from the Quick Snaps entry, found on the web, or that people have sent me. I thought it would be helpful to put them all in a single section, along with the "Last Night" farewell videos.
- Movie Love in Austin: Hasta La Vista Alamo D from grainyms at Friends are my art form (includes video of Tim League's last intro)
- Last Night at the Alamo from Brian Satterwhite at Days in the Life of a Composer
- One Weird Wednesday: Last Night at the Alamo from Matt Dentler at Matt Dentler's Blog
- Flickr set of Last Night from Wiley Wiggins
- Another Flickr set of Last Night from Freddie Avalos
- Still another Flickr set of Last Night from Micah of Reel Distraction (I love the "Basement of the Alamo" -- I'd never seen that!)
- One more Flickr set of Last Night from sarah pants
- Snapshots: Last Night at the Alamo at Austinist
- Last Night photo album from Nick Robinson (many detailed photos of the sign coming down)
- Alamo Drafthouse Downtown Closing slideshow from David Roland Strong (also includes photos from Breathless screening the night before)
- Peter Jackson and Edgar Wright: Farewell Alamo on YouTube
- Don Coscarelli: Farewell Alamo Drafthouse on YouTube